Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Insulating vaulted ceiling

CAL

06-04-10, 09:53 AM   #1  
Insulating vaulted ceiling

Hi all,

The master bedroom in my house has a vaulted ceiling but there is a few feet of space between the vaulted ceiling and the exterior house roof. OSB was used to create a nailing structure for the vaulted ceiling rafters. The house is currently insulated with cellulose. It lloks like the builders blew some cellulose into any space they could (AC vent register area etc.) but I know that the rafter bays do not have insulation because I drilled a few holes for some wiring upgrades.

I may be able to drill more holes in the OSB and blow in cellulose when I beef up the insulation but I was wondering if I should lay fiberglass batting on top of the OSB structure? This is one of the hottest rooms in the house so anything that might help is worthwhile.

In case my description is unclear the vaulted ceiling const looks like this -

drywall - vaulted ceiling rafters - OSB - attic space - exterior house roof

Thanks

Sponsored Links

CAL

06-04-10, 01:56 PM   #2  
I just skimmed through the energy star house thermal bypass guide and realized that puting fiberglass insulation on top of the vaulted OSB will do nothing since there is a leaky air space below it.

So I suppose the only solution is to drill holes near the top and bottom of the OSB in each rafter bay and blow in insulation or use foam.

Search this Thread