Home Insulation Help

Old 06-13-10, 02:19 PM
Home Insulation Help

I started a project which, of course, turned into a larger project. I didn't need any insulation for my small project however now I do. I found a roll of R25 in my attic which brings me to my question: Can I use R25 for interior walls? I know this is not the norm but I don't know if it's because it's overkill or if there is some type of safety concern. Thanks for your advice!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-10, 02:33 PM
R25 is probably too thick for interior walls. Even if it insulated, you would need weather stripped doors between areas.rooms LOL). It could also upset any heating and cooling system because of balance changes.

It is really not effective for sound.

If you are in an area could possibly flood, definitely avoid it for interior walls because of the possible mold, moisture and clean-up costs. I saw a 2 story house ($800,000+) that had to be leveled because roof leaks (not even flood, but the Katrina surrounding rains and whirly-bird vents) saturated the interior insulation while the owners were away. It was cheaper for the insurance company to level and rebuild.

Dick

Old 06-13-10, 02:36 PM
Wow. Ok thanks a bunch for the info! Well guess I'm not going to save that trip to the hardware store! haha. Thanks again!

Search this Thread