Asbestos concern in 1900 house?

Old 06-16-10, 06:22 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Asbestos concern in 1900 house?

We recently bought our house, an old brick house built in 1900. I had a floor board lifted up in the attic, and our cat got in it and ended up crawling through the floor and up the angle of the roof. We got her out through the top attic (we have a finished attic as well as an even higher up tiny roof "peak" attic) My concern is: should I worry about asbestos? I got her out and sprayed her down with water and brushed her, but am not sure that is sufficient. I worry about my wife and 2 year old getting hurt...any advice?
We plan on remodeling eventually too, so I will need to know if there is any concern of asbestos any way. The EPA website says that 1930 through 1950 are the years to worry about...is that accurate in your experience?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-10, 06:53 AM
I should add that the main reason for my concern is that my 2 year old will rub her face on my cat for hours if she catches her, so I want to be sure there's no asbestos on the cat.

Old 06-16-10, 07:31 AM
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
You didn't describe the insulation up there, but in any case, the only way to confirm asbestos is to have a sample tested. There are products like vermiculite that came from one mine on Montana that are contaminated. However, they still sell vermiculite, just from mines that have been tested and are safe.

As for the date, poor memory, but I believe asbestos was not banned in the US until 78 and even then existing supplies were allowed to be used up. Any home older than 1980 IMO could have some form of asbestos. That doesn't mean it is time to panic, do some research, check to see what is there or have a professional check and decide from there.

There is another problem that would suggest you simply have a pro come in and test. Asbestos may have been present in many forms over the many years your home has been standing, but it may have been removed. If asbestos is removed without all of the proper precautions, then areas of the house can still be contaminated. For peace of mind as well as safety, simply call in someone to do the testing. If you are all clean, save that paper as it will be worth twice what you paid when you sell. Good investment.

Bud

Old 06-16-10, 07:35 AM
OK, so I finally got up there to have a look, and apparently there is no insulation; sorry for the flase alarm . So now my question changes to: Should I add insulation to my roof, or is the air space sufficient insulation?