Blown fiberglass vs. cellulose

Old 07-14-10, 10:02 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Blown fiberglass vs. cellulose

Hi all,

i just installed cellulose insulation in my attic. I researched all the pros and cons of the 2 types but I came across this report which seems to indicate that blown fiberglass does not achieve the rated r-value. My house had the Insulsafe IV which was one of the worst performers.

Is it still true that blown fiberglass does not perform as advertised?

http://infrared-energy.com/files/Spe...onProblems.pdf

P.S. Because my house was finished and attic access was via the master bedroom closet with enough of my wifes clothes to stock a Macy's, I didn't want to use a blower to install the cellulose insulation. i just used my hands to break up and fluff up the product. This works, as my coverage seemed to agree with the package but it is extremely time consuming and dusty - I had to ditch the dusk mask because even it clogged up right away. So I wouldn't recommend this method except for small areas < 500 sq ft or so.

I'm thinking the pros must use a custom attic hatch with a sealed hole for the hose or else the whole house would be covered in dust.

Old 07-16-10, 09:35 AM
R
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
R-Values are "Standards" and settling is normal for both types of insulation. As far as the performance of the two, it depends on how well they are installed. If installed according to manufacturer recommendation both types would perform as stated by the manufacturers.

For the attic access I use the "Barber Cape" method. I bring the hose to the area I want to insulate and then bring in a little more hose for slack. I take an old bed sheet by the hose near the access and wrap one end of the sheet around the hose and clip it like a barber would do around your neck. I then drape the sheet over the access opening.

When I am finished insulating I pull the loose end of the sheet towards the hose and pull up some more hose into the attic. Enough hose for the sheet to be clear of the access opening. This is to prevent any debris dropping into the access. Unclip the sheet and use the sheet to wipe the hose as you feed it into the access. When all the hose is down the access I loosely shake out the sheet, fold it as neatly as possible slap both sides of the folded sheet to remove any loose debris. I go as far as putting it in a plastic bag before removing from the attic. I then brush off myself and check the bottom of my shoes before leaving the attic.

Old 09-14-10, 07:14 AM
L
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by AlexH

I'm thinking the pros must use a custom attic hatch with a sealed hole for the hose or else the whole house would be covered in dust.
i'm fortunate to have a walk up attic do no troubles with a hatch but now you got me wondering if everything in my attic will now be covered by a fine dust, and from what i read, the answer is yes. there's not a lot of 'good stuff' in the attic but there are some things like my train platforms that i definitely wouldnt want coated in anymore dust than they already are lol

i do plan on a major cleanup of junk etc before i start my job but i am guessing that anything need preserved on shelves etc needs a sheet of plastic on it to prevent it getting caked up?

Also , i have windows that can open in the attic, should i keep them open or closed during this process..they arent that big but if it helps, i can have them open

Old 09-14-10, 08:23 AM
A
Anything in an attic w/o finished floor and walls should be in boxes IMO.

I don't see any problem with open windows - anything to get a little ventilation would make things more comfortable. Even my eyes even got caked up with dust.

Old 09-14-10, 08:39 AM
L
hmmm i guess i should turn off the attic fan then....

it's very difficult to even find a replacement , i had to rig one from another fan when my old one died, so i really dont want to clog this one up.

i wonder if i should just take my old box fan and put it in the window to help with exhaust and then toss it because it will probably be totally covered in dust lol. i guess i can make that call the day of spraying though.

and taking up the tongue and groove then putting it back on doesnt seem like much fun at all..i guess will take some up as i go, put it back, then move to the next section. Leap frogging it lol

Old 09-14-10, 09:05 AM
A
You'll figure it out as you go. Make a list of everything (tools etc.) that you need and take it up with you since it's gets old going up and down. Also, don't put any tools down or drop them because they are lost forever. Tie strings to them if necessary.

You may be able to spray the insulation under the T&G (I assume you mean ply) as long as there are no obstructions and you can access openings at the ends easily.

Make sure you get several of those staple on depth gauges if you have uncoverd areas because it's hard to tell how deep it's getting.

Old 09-14-10, 10:27 AM
L
good idea about tying things. I also will put a phone in plastic in my pocket for communication.

i have so much junk i dont even know about the T and G, it may be 10 or 12 ft lengths and maybe all has to come up anyway, just dont know. But even if i just can access 'an end' and stick the hose down there, wont that push up the rest of the floor, it's at least 12 ft wide in the attic.

i already have an idea about depth gauges...either staple some sticks/branches onto the floor joists and fill even with the top or even one crazy idea of hanging the sticks with string from the roof then pull them down

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: