Soundproofing Interior Wall

Old 08-07-10, 08:36 AM
Soundproofing Interior Wall

I am converting a loft into a bedroom for our newcoming baby, and was considering soundproofing the new wall. However, I am concerned with doing so because the room is upstairs and can get quite warm in the summer months, so I'm not sure if soundproofing is a good idea because it will insulate the wall as well potentially making it even warmer in that room. Is this a valid concern? Are there soundproofing products available that don't insulate, or minimally insulate?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-10, 09:20 AM
If you are concerned that the cooler air from the rest of the house won't reach this loft area, then the sound insulation isn't going to be the problem. The new wall will be the biggest culprit in that respect. Whether or not it will be warmer than it is now, I can't say.

As far as soundproofing, you will have the best results by having separation. You should build a "double wall". Put up two rows of studs instead of one. The second row will go between the studs of the first, but they will be offset by an inch so the drywall of the other side of the wall does not touch them. Using 5/8" drywall instead of 1/2" will also decrease sound transmission.

You should also use a good door. Having a hollow core door in a wall that you put the extra effort into so it would be soundproof will negate all of your work.

Old 08-09-10, 06:49 AM
I second Drooplug's comments. I would add that simply adding another layer of drywall over the existing drywall with a damping compound will increase isolation a great deal, and should be more than suitable for you.

Old 08-09-10, 07:00 AM
Group Moderator
Soundproofing from what? The baby from your sounds or you from hearing the baby?

Babies' brains pretty much shut off when they sleep, noise is not generally a problem

Old 08-09-10, 04:54 PM
Originally Posted by mitch17 View Post
Soundproofing from what? The baby from your sounds or you from hearing the baby?

Babies' brains pretty much shut off when they sleep, noise is not generally a problem
I can't argue with that. I had my first baby in May and the first week we had to go back to the hospital several times to get blood tests done. They were doing construction out front using jack hammers and we walked within 10' of it and she didn't budge one bit out of her sleep.

Old 08-17-10, 05:32 PM
Ok ok, cut me a break. This is our first baby. I'm not sure what to expect. The baby's room is directly off the family room via the vaulted ceiling, so sound travels very well. I may just install some of that foam soundproofing inside the walls and install a solid door.

Old 08-17-10, 05:36 PM
Ok ok, cut me a break. This is our first baby. I'm not sure what to expect. The baby's room is directly off the family room via the vaulted ceiling, so sound travels very well. I may just install 5/8" sheetrock on the inside wall (outside wall needs to be 1/2" to match existing wall) and install a solid door.