insulation issues

Old 08-16-10, 09:11 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy insulation issues

Im having a hard time keeping one of my bedrooms cool in the summer, warm in the winter and that because part of this existing bedroom is over an attached garage. I sense the band joints for this room were not properly insulated and would like to find a way to check and insulate if necessary. Any suggestions on how I do this would be appreciated.

Old 08-16-10, 11:11 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Attic ventilation, air sealing, and ceiling insulation will improve the summer heat. That band joist and the garage ceiling below need to be air sealed and super insulated. When the floor of a room is over a cold space, the floors get exceptionally cold. Heat rises and it is difficult to force replacement heat down to that floor level. As any ait leaks out, it bulls in replacement air from the lower levels, so those floors are seeing a constant supply of cold air.

I would start by opening up an access hole to see exactly what is in and around that band joist. Also look to see what they put in the garage ceiling/ bedroom floor. Typically those bays are at best half full and they need to be completely full.

Bud

Old 08-16-10, 07:57 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: