Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Insulation, Radiant and Vapor Barriers
Reload this Page >

/ / / Insulation Standards In Office Buildings / / /

/ / / Insulation Standards In Office Buildings / / /

Old 12-13-00, 05:58 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I would like to open the floor to anyone with experience in this sector of the insulating industry.

Specifically,

If it takes 12inches of insulation to reach a certain R-Value in a home attic, how much(more) will it take to reach the same value in, say, a 5-story 300,000 squarefoot office? And does only the roof plane receive insulation?

Secondly, in parts of the building where I work, particularly on higher floors, there is a ghostly moan when opening and shutting doors in the most unlikely locations, IE, bathroom and closet doors! Where is this draft coming from, or rather I should ask, where is it going?

Finally, should insulators sweat the small stuff in large offices, such as insulating wall outlets that abut exterior walls, anc caulking every nook n' cranny in these buildings?

Thanks for your input, and all the best for the Holidays!

-Chris
"Curious minds want to know"

Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-00, 04:27 PM
Visiting Guest
R values are consistent regardless of their application in residential or commercial buildings.

Insulation contractors should always pay attention to ANY and ALL potential areas for infiltration.

Old 12-24-00, 03:21 AM
Chris: I am curious as to why you want to know all these things. These are only things that a building owner would be concerned about. I can answer all your questions, but you tripped alot of red flags.

Old 12-26-00, 10:47 AM
Visiting Guest
Angry

Jack the Contractor

Chris: I am curious as to why you want to know all these things. These are only things that a building owner would be concerned about.
__
Well, I'm developing a technology where sections of buildings, even entire office buildings, could be built in orbit in space and planted back on earth. It's called monobody const - WHY ARE YOU CURIOUS?! Does it matter to you why I want to know? I don't have any agenda or anything, I just asked a simple stupid question, thats all!!

I can answer all your questions, but you tripped alot of red flags.

__
Well, my holidays were quite alright, and I certainly didn't remember seeing any red flags or falling over any in my driveway or upstairs hall- GET REAL and just answer the boards will ya?! ARE YOU THAT SENSITIVE? Does everyone who comes down the pike with what YOU perceive to be an offbeat question have to have an agenda?!?

-Chris

"In the twelfth month of the millennium, the village idiot stepped forward to be proclaimed the leader"-Nostradamus

Old 12-28-00, 04:15 AM
Sounds like you have a good project going there. The red flags pop up here, not at your place. The reason for this is that we live in a funny world. Lawsuit crazy. Your questions are not that of the average person. So when something strange pops up, the flags pop up also. The R value is the same wheather on the ground or 50 feet in the air. Insulation is insulation is insulation. The top floor insulation can very with the area you are in as well as local building codes. Some have the insulation on the bottom of the roof, while others have it on the ceiling of the top floor. If it is a metal roof, usually they spray the underside of the metal roof with a spray on styrofoam.
This eliminates condensation forming and dripping down.
One of the probable reasons for the door groan is that office buildings have very good doors with very good seals.
When closed, they form a very good seal and vaccum. When you open a door, like you say in a restroom, that interior air seal is broken, and the groan is the air pressure equilizing. Alot of high rise buildings have an air equilazier vent (very small) in the doors or above them into the hallways to avoid this. You insulation in regards to the outlets is as follows. Usually, the insulators are already gone, when the electrian gets there. The electrician usually puts the insulation in, but they don't really like to do this. If the electricial is already installed, the insulators will do it no problem. This is one reason, I personally inspect all outlets before wall sheeting is put on. Good spot for a draft.I hope I have answered all your questions. No, I am not case sensitive. I have just been around along time, and am very wise.