Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Insulation, Radiant and Vapor Barriers
Reload this Page >

Cold Basement, walls on concrete block wall uninsullated?

Old 11-27-10, 07:44 AM

My 1963 Lake Elmo Minnesota home has a finished basement with a couple of very cold bedrooms. The Northeast corner bedroom is the worst! The utility room with the boiler is in the Southwest corner, making it the furthest from the heat source. The baseboard heat works well, but the thermostat (in the inside hall, adjacent to the utility room) is satisfied about 18 degrees before the bedroom (set on 68, bedroom still only 50) the living room, which includes a large, drafty patio door is much closer, at 65 degrees.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-10, 07:47 AM
The basement is a walk out on the South wall, and the bedroom in question includes the breaker box (which is a little drafty, but nothing like the patio door), a small lookout window on the East side of the home, which is cinder block exterior - the side slopes down to the backyard, but this room is mostly above the sloping grade. there is also a medium size window that is a little drafty. We cover both windows with plastic to stem the heat loss and minimize the draft. That helps, but not as much as I'd like. I believe the block wall is the main concern, as it doesn't seem to have much if any insulation.
Our daughter has moved off to college, and we would like to renovate this space now. I would like to know my options with regards to insulating the block. I've seen the foam that goes on the outside. How effective is that? I am unable to dig and bury it next to the house, as there is a cement sidewalk/ steps along the side of the home.
Thanks for any tips

Old 11-27-10, 07:53 AM
Group Moderator
Opening the wall and adding foam insulation (Spray or sheets) will help the heat loss but I feel it will only go so far. If there is a heat register in this room off your boiler I suggest figuring out a way to add another zone for this cold room or relocating the stat. That or maybe add an electric baseboard heater.