Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Attic Insulation Advice

CAL

11-30-10, 03:47 PM   #1  
Attic Insulation Advice

Hello All,
Recently purchased an older home(1948) and removed all the blown-in insulation after dealing with a serious rodent infestation in the attic/crawl space.

I plan on doing the install myself and would like an efficient and reasonably priced product. Does batted fiberglass with a r-30 rating sound like a good option for Southern California?

Thank you in advance,

Mark

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

MN

11-30-10, 05:02 PM   #2  
NO. Bats are not a good way to go because try as you might there will still be gaps between framing and other batts. I would recommend another blown in insulation such as cellulose or fiberglass.

Electrical AC/DC and lighting Moderator
Professional Electrician, Handyman, all around swell guy!
40,000 people die in auto accidents per year in the US. We should ban cars.

PA

12-01-10, 06:18 AM   #3  
if you go with green fiber, make sure you get a good machine. there's an old 'hot dog cart' style one (lower and more rectangular) then there's one that has a higher tube and is newer and it has a circular blade that spins to feed the machine. the guy told me the new one has a better drive in it when they had to deliver it because the older one got continually clogged. put me behind over 1 hour on the job.

also make sure you put plastic down under the machine because you will lose a lot with the person filling the machine. there are threads on the green fiber in this forum and i found it a relatively easy kind of job to do.

Search this Thread