Attic Insulation Advice

Old 11-30-10, 03:47 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Attic Insulation Advice

Hello All,
Recently purchased an older home(1948) and removed all the blown-in insulation after dealing with a serious rodent infestation in the attic/crawl space.

I plan on doing the install myself and would like an efficient and reasonably priced product. Does batted fiberglass with a r-30 rating sound like a good option for Southern California?

Thank you in advance,

Mark

Old 11-30-10, 05:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 915 Upvotes on 773 Posts
NO. Bats are not a good way to go because try as you might there will still be gaps between framing and other batts. I would recommend another blown in insulation such as cellulose or fiberglass.

Old 12-01-10, 06:18 AM
L
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
if you go with green fiber, make sure you get a good machine. there's an old 'hot dog cart' style one (lower and more rectangular) then there's one that has a higher tube and is newer and it has a circular blade that spins to feed the machine. the guy told me the new one has a better drive in it when they had to deliver it because the older one got continually clogged. put me behind over 1 hour on the job.

also make sure you put plastic down under the machine because you will lose a lot with the person filling the machine. there are threads on the green fiber in this forum and i found it a relatively easy kind of job to do.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: