Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Attic Insulation

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

12-19-00, 09:41 PM   #1  
Our attic has three rooms with a crawl space above and a significant amount of room behind the knee wall. I have several questions and hope someone can help:

Should I put air flow chutes between all the rafters connecting the knee walls and the crawl space above? I thought that using the chutes on every other or every third rafter would easily match in area the soffit ventilation. This would also allow me to get more insulation installed.

I am planning to use a vapor barrier underneath blown cellulose. Should the vapor barrier be stapled to the tops of the joists and tucked in between or to minimize holes in the barrier laid in loose?

To calculate the size of the ventilated area do I add the area of the crawl space to the area behind the knee wall or just use the total floor area of the attic including the crawl space?

Once this area is ventilated can I use TYVEK on the outside face of the knee walls? The knee walls our covered with unfaced batts of fiberglass.

We have water supply lines for a third floor bath in an isolated area behind the knee walls. With improved ventilation I am worried that these pipes will freeze. Should I try to include this space in the heated area by moving the insulation out to the exterior wall or find a different way of keeping the pipes warm?

Sponsored Links
's Avatar
Visiting Guest

12-23-00, 04:35 PM   #2  
The chutes will only work where they are drawing fresh air. The tyvek over the unfaced sounds good.

Calculate what is actually being insulated.

Try to keep your plumbing in the insulation loop somehow.

Search this Thread