Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

New siding. Tear off sheathing and insulate from outside in???

PA

12-13-10, 02:48 PM   #1  
New siding. Tear off sheathing and insulate from outside in???

Hi all,
I have a cantilevered section of my second floor in my philly rowhome. The house was built in 1909 so there is no insulation in the house, and none in the framed section of the cantilever.
I'm going to blow in insulation in the attic crawl space, but I'm also going to pull my aluminum siding off the canti section and replace with vinly.
My question is: While i pull the siding off, I was planning on pulling the sheating and insulate the walls with fiberglass batts, then resheath, then put 1/2" of foam board with taped seams, then the siding. Is there a reason I shouldn't do this and just try and force cellulose down the walls when I blow it in the attic crawl space?

Second Q is:If the fiberglass batts are the preferred method, then should I get faced sheets? and if the vapor barrier goes towards the interior wall, how to I fasten the batts so they don't drop?

Sponsored Links

NY

12-13-10, 05:50 PM   #2  
I would wait to decide until I rip of the siding. The sheathing might need to be replaced. .....There might not be any sheathing. I have a 1906 house that had ceder clapboard. I went to replace some clapboard and found there was no sheathing underneath.

NJ

12-13-10, 06:02 PM   #3  
If the sheething is in good shape, save yourself some work and blow in cellulose. You drill two holes in each bay. One near the bottom, the other near the top.

How to Retrofit Cellulose Insulation | Video | Insulation | This Old House

PA

12-13-10, 07:05 PM   #4  
Posted By: drooplug If the sheething is in good shape, save yourself some work and blow in cellulose. You drill two holes in each bay. One near the bottom, the other near the top.

How to Retrofit Cellulose Insulation | Video | Insulation | This Old House
Blow in settles over time, right? If that's the case, how much does it settle? Is that something to be concerned about?

Search this Thread