Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

2nd layer of drywall on ceiling to insulate better ?

IL

01-08-11, 07:40 AM   #1  
2nd layer of drywall on ceiling to insulate better ?

and/or the walls ? would this be worth the effort ? (wood frame house)

i would do it myself. and i would also be optimizing the insulation in the attic.

thanx

Sponsored Links
Super Moderator

AZ

01-08-11, 07:55 AM   #2  
1/2" sheetrock has an R value of about .45.....
Not worth the effort if thats the only reason for doing it.

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

01-08-11, 10:01 AM   #3  
Not to mention that when you make the wall thicker, the existing molding can't be reused without modification. Electrical devices would need box extenders. Longer screws would be needed to secure the drywall to the framing. You'd be money ahead adding insulation other than drywall.

Years ago I painted a large house in fla that had all the drywall double laminated [joints staggered] I don't know how much it added to the cost of the house or whether the extra cost was worth the result.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

ME

01-08-11, 12:31 PM   #4  
When you start with 3.5" walls, you are limited to how much insulation you can have. To go beyond that, one must look at adding outside or adding inside. Either location will become a project as GG and marksr stated and usually only worth the effort if you are otherwise renovating or adding a significant amount of insulation.

When deciding between inside or outside, I prefer outside as the extra layer can cover top plate, bottom plate, rim joists, and the corners and "T" walls. But you can run into screen doors, lights, and soffits that may need extending. Like I said, a project.

Bud

Group Moderator

NE

01-08-11, 07:51 PM   #5  
Posted By: Gunguy45 1/2" sheetrock has an R value of about .45.....
Not worth the effort if thats the only reason for doing it.
But if you put on 29 layers, it would equal roughly R-13.

IL

01-08-11, 08:53 PM   #6  
Posted By: XSleeper But if you put on 29 layers, it would equal roughly R-13.
so. you are saying. that if i built a room out of r-13 fiberglass. and another room out of 29 layers of drywall. they will be the same temp ? somehow, i hardly think so. but what do i know.

ME

01-09-11, 05:31 AM   #7  
On the serious side condo, adding insulation anywhere will figure into the heat loss equation. One can paste a 4' x 4' square of rigid 1" insulation on the wall like a picture and benefit from the reduction. In my upgrade, I have a cape, I cannot add more insulation to the slope areas upstairs, so I am adding 2" of rigid foam and covering it with another layer of sheetrock. I could have removed the old sheetrock, but leaving it avoids the mess.

In a condo complex, outside work would be prohibited, so adding to the inside, as you are asking, is probably the only choice an although there are issues, it can be done and it will add to the value of your condo. Another advantage is, it can be done on a room by room basis if you choose.

good luck,
Bud

NJ

01-09-11, 07:06 AM   #8  
Are you actually in a condo or is this a house?

IL

01-09-11, 08:15 AM   #9  
yeah, Bud, i know. any and everything helps to one extent or another.

i am condo-owner now. trying, and due to the crappy market, not having any success, to become "house-owner".

my mother-in-laws house style is about what i am going to end up buying, 3 BR ranch.
when there, i look at it to see what i could make better.

so, i am just trying sort out my ideas as i think of them. insulating my new(to me) house is going to be a MAJOR issue when the time comes. this is an investment that really does pay for itself.

MA

01-09-11, 08:23 AM   #10  
If you going to take the effort to add another layer of dry wall then might I suggest that you look into possibly doing a blown in insulation yes you will have to make multiple holes at the top of the walls between the studs but it will save you the effort of re- drywalling the walls and as marksr said you wouldnt have to extend the electrical boxes and re-do the moldings and baseboards. Also dry-wall seems like an easy task but you have to take into account that you will then need to compound and sand the joints at least 3 times creating major dust everywhere in the house even if you plastic off the room anyone will tell you it still gets everywhere in the heat system on you then you travel through the house so you do have this to think about as well

NJ

01-09-11, 08:35 AM   #11  
Blowing insulation into wall cavities can be done from the outside. Depending on construction, it may be easier to do than doing it from the inside.

What you will need to do to upgrade the insulation on the house you buy depends on that house. So coming up with specific ideas now may prove difficult. Reading through these forums will help educate you on what types of products and techniques are available.

Search this Thread