Air Infiltration around outlets

Old 12-25-00, 09:38 AM
Visiting Guest
We recently moved into our new home on a cold, windy mountain in Western NC. It is a well built, well insulated home. However, when the wind get very high (40+ mph), there is significant infiltration around the outlets. I have tried the store bought foam to install behind the plate cover, but I'm looking for ideas/dangers on filling the outlet box with some type of infiltration reducing material (filberglass, cellulose, foam, or other). Anyone have any ideas on this?

Old 12-25-00, 12:00 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

I'm in the "cold, windy" coastal area of NC right now (Christmas Day) on the Albemarle Sound. Nippy out, isn't it? LOL.
First, do NOT fill the outlet boxes with anything, except what is supposed to be in them (receptacles and wiring only). Period. Fire hazard.
The plate cover insulation is a good first step, and all that you should do at the outlets.
If your home has siding over brick or stone underpinning, then seal the bottom with a good silcone caulk. That is usually a good source of cold air penetration.
If you have a solid brick or stone home, then close up all vents, and even tape plastic over the back of them to prevent cold air penetration during the winter.
Cold air will be getting to the outlets most likely through the holes drilled in the bottom of your framing for wiring. Fill those with expandable foam or caulk.
All of the above will help, and if you keep working at it, you'll eventually seal all of those cold air leaks (this is the way that I did it).
Good Luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: