Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Attic insulation advice needed please.

MD

03-02-11, 05:54 AM   #1  
Attic insulation advice needed please.

Ok, to start off. I was in another part of the forums for Attics for about a month. I have since fixed the mold issue I have. Or should I say stopped it. The next step is remediation of the mold. I have a few companies that I have spoke to about doing this. One of them wants to suck out all my blown in insulation to reveal the batting insulation. Then remove all the batting. The paper n the batting has black spots all over it.

My first question is. Is that normal for the batting paper to have mold on it? There is no vapor barier so I would wonder how it was supposed to not get something on it.

My second question has to do with the blown in insulation. Could it be reused? the type I chose was supposed to not allow mold growth on it.

If I do this entire process. I guess I will have to install some kind of vapor barrier. How is that possible? cut plastic strips 24" across and lay them in the truss bays?

thanks.

Sponsored Links

NJ

03-02-11, 09:54 AM   #2  
The paper face of the batt insulation is a vapor retarder. You could lay faced batts down again and then cover with the blown cellulose. I don't think it would be worth the effort in trying to reuse the old cellulose. The stuff isn't terribley expensive to replace with new. Even though mold isn't growing in it, it probably has a ton of mold spores hanging out waiting to find a place to grow.

MD

03-02-11, 10:46 AM   #3  
Thanks for your info. Your rite. spores are probably everywhere.

VA

03-02-11, 05:27 PM   #4  
The spores are every where! There still in the air leave the insulation. As soon as you put down new it will have mold on it! You have stopped the moisture issue then no mold will grow

MD

03-02-11, 05:40 PM   #5  
That's just the thing. I'm having a contractor come in and kill, clean and encapsulate the entire attic. Everything is going to be removed now. With everything gone and the treatment done. I'm guessing I will be good.

VA

03-02-11, 07:02 PM   #6  
You will be fine with treating and coating the wood unless the insulation has gotin wet! Removing the insulation is most of the time not needed

PA

03-03-11, 04:59 AM   #7  
i just saw mike holmes have a guy spray some white paint on the roof to encapsulate..can us mere mortals acquire such paint?

MD

03-03-11, 05:11 AM   #8  
I'm not sure if the insulation its self got wet. However the paper backing that is on it is Black with mold. So, I was told by the remediation company that it needs to be removed. Unfortunately. It is under a blanket of 1 yr old blown in insulation. So that has to be removed now also, even though it contans Borate the spores can still be present in it. I am not taking any chances any more. I have wasted too much money and time. It's all coming out. Then the company is coming in to Clean, Kill, Encapsulate, and BOMB the attic.

Yes you can get the cleaning supplies and paint yourself. Check out mold buster dot com and go to their DIY page, also check out property perfections dot net they have a 2 part system. cleaner and sealer that is white or clear. I would do it myself in my home however it is just to big of an area. I want someone certified to come in take care of the situation, and leave me with a certificate. You need that to sell your house from what I understand.

Search this Thread