Pealing Ceiling

Old 12-30-00, 01:07 PM
Question

I have a 30 yr old outside Chicago that I just moved into (my first home). One of the things the Home Inspector noticed was paint pealing on the ceiling of the dining room. His suggestion was to sand it, patch, prime, and paint. I did this and the problem went away. Three months later there are more hairline cracks and paint pealing in several areas of the room (11x14). My patch jobs are fine, but what is causing these cracks/pealing? I was told to sand the entire ceiling and paint it with Kilz then repaint with two coats. Any comments?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-00, 01:18 PM
Exclamation Move this topic

I posted this in the wrong section - sorry. If someone can move this topic to Painting I'd appreciate it. I tried but I don't have the authority to do it. Thanks

Old 12-31-00, 01:12 AM
some help
Visiting Guest
Hello
First if you would like to move a note from one site to differant site, just ask the question on the other site.

You are in an old house DID you ever check to see if you are working with lead paint? what is over this room? attic. Roof, Bed room, Bath room? Is tere much af a change in temperature in the room? How thick, how many coates of paint do you thing you have to deal with? is it on wood? plaster? sheetrock? Before You sand and paint the whole ceiling find out what the problem is, this is a lot of work just to see if it might work but then they are not doing the work you are.

Old 01-01-01, 02:31 PM
Peeling Ceiling

Thanks for the reply. The room in question is drywall, has been cleared of lead paint. There is an attic above (which I checked for leaks). I don't think there's large temperature changes. It has a sliding patio door but I usually keep the door and blinds closed. According to one of the neighbors, the previous owner was always painting. Every year the room in question would be a different color.

Old 01-01-01, 07:53 PM
some help
Visiting Guest
Hello
You could have many coats of paint to the point that the undercoat have became soft and wet after the next coats has been put on the outside or last coad ddrys first and ans the other first coats dry it will shrink and crack the last coat. It could be you could paint a good quick drying primer/sealer over what is there and let it dry and paint over it with a quick drying paint, but as you have seen most old painted thig over time do have shrink cracks over time.....?The best would be to remove as much as possible andstart from scratch, use a coars and Paper take it down to the sheetrockor first coat of paint retecture and paint a lot of work. Peal a little paint and take it to a local paint store not a brick and morter store..A real paint store
seing what you have could give them a real good chance to help you out....whish I could be more help. Real glad no lead Paint...