Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Best way to insulate ceiling of basement suite

CANADA

05-12-11, 10:07 PM   #1  
Best way to insulate ceiling of basement suite

The basement suite is currently rented. There is NO insulation currently between the lower level of the house and the main level.

We are due to have our 1st child in 3 months and want to insulate between the two floors and also make the two levels more sound proof.

Looking for the most cost effective way to complete the job. We live in 1/2 a duplex built in 1982 so the infamous popcorn ceilings are everywhere.

Ripping out the ceiling is not an option.

Sponsored Links
Super Moderator

AZ

05-13-11, 08:52 AM   #2  
I don't think theirs any real effective way to do it without removal of either the ceiling or the floor above. Not sure whether blow in insulation would work on a horizontal plane. Even then, it might help with thermal but not much for acoustic.

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

NJ

05-13-11, 08:58 AM   #3  
Blown in works horizontally. As you said, I doubt it has much acoustic performance.

Group Moderator

WI

05-13-11, 10:19 AM   #4  
Are you soundproofing for your baby or your tenant?

If for your baby, don't worry about it, it won't be worth the hassle - babies can sleep through a lot of noise

CANADA

05-13-11, 05:40 PM   #5  
The soundproofing is more for the tennants sake than ours. We have a dream tennant, don't want to lose him over a screaming baby

Search this Thread