condensation buildup

Old 01-01-01, 02:43 PM
Visiting Guest
I recently removed a 20 year old vented space heater replacing it with a new vent free unit. I'm happy with the fact the new unit heats more space at less cost. However I now find more moisture showing up on windows and doors . Items stored in unisulated closet space is now collecting moisture and mold. The co detectors are not going off. So I have not looked for vent problems. Would tighting up the exterior stom windows and replaceing the exterior doors with newer insulated unit correct my problem?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-01, 08:02 PM
Tightening up the envelope reduces heat loss but it will only increase your condensation woes. When you replaced the vented with the non vented space heater you eliminated a means for humidity to escape. Talk to your local HVAC rep about a HRV(HEAT RECOVERY VENTILATION) system. It will bring in fresh air heated by the warm moist air it is expelling. This will aid the condensation problems and improve the interior air quality.

Old 01-03-01, 11:20 PM
some help
Visiting Guest
Hello
Nothing more to say...Allen has said it all but for now use a humidefier and run exost fans, kitch. and bath, untill you get every thing take care of...

Search this Thread