New Construction/insulation questions

Old 07-23-11, 02:04 PM
New Construction/insulation questions

Our small home is just about ready for insulation. All steel construction. Cathedral ceilings. We put a 3 inch insulation "blanket type" with silver under the metal roof on the ceiling. On the walls, we used the thin insulated styrofoam board against the walls....silver to the outside again of course. We are almost ready to have the place professionally spray foamed. Any suggestions? I worry about getting the house too tight, moisture getting in between the metal and the insulation, fire, toxins in different types of foams, etc. Does anyone have any experience or pointers for us? Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-11, 02:35 PM
Hi Pammi and welcome to the forum.
In all honesty, all of those questions should have been answered long before you got to this point. Not much you can change.
1. Too Tight? Building a tight home requires provisions for mechanical ventilation. Basically, all homes MUST breathe, so you seal off the random leakage in exchange for controlled leakage that occurs when and where you want it. On a new home, that is part of the design.

2. Steel is a very efficient conductor of heat, so provisions should have been incorporated to cover the metal surfaces of the framing to prevent thermal bridging.

3. As for moisture, if it gets in, as long as it can get back out you should be ok, but I would have to go over specifics of your house plans and location. Again, that should have been taken care of.

You didn't say how much spray foam, but more is always better. Good windows, tall shade trees, and ice cubes in your swimming pool.

Enjoy your new home,
Bud

Old 07-23-11, 02:53 PM
Thanks! This is def a DIY and by the seat of our pants! We still have time to put vents on the roof I guess before we foam??. We put in Simonton windows with Cardinal glass and a low Solar Heat Gain for Texas and I stuffed a bit of fiberglass insulation around the edges, then caulked. Can the Closed cell foam be sprayed on top of the rigid foam barrier and on top of the blanket one on the ceiling? If not, we will have to go with fiberglass insulation. I have pics if needed....

Old 07-23-11, 06:25 PM
We love pictures.

---------------

Old 07-23-11, 08:48 PM
How do you load pics on here? When I click on the insert image it asked for a URL.

Old 07-24-11, 02:30 AM