Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Vaulted ceilings

Non-US

07-31-11, 09:34 AM   #1  
Vaulted ceilings

My living room has vaulted ceilings with a peak height of about 13'. It is an energy hot in the summer to cool and heat in the winter. The ceiling is probably concrete slab. The easiest way to insulate would probably be to put 4" styrofoam on it. If I did that, would the r value increase if I put a 2" air space between the styrofoam and the ceiling?

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

07-31-11, 01:02 PM   #2  
If the ceiling is vaulted, how is it that it is made of concrete? That's a lot of weight to be placed on such an angle. Can you furnish pictures?? Things are done a little differently in China than they are here. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

NJ

07-31-11, 02:03 PM   #3  
Rebar!

I'm not sure you will see an increase in R value with a 2" gap or any gap for that matter. If a gap would increase R value, 2" would be too much. It would allow too much convection of the air inside the gap. Increased convection will decrease your R value. For the cost of creating the gap, you can probably purchase another 2" of foam.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

07-31-11, 02:16 PM   #4  
I'm thinking of slip factor on the wall bearing surface, unless the house was poured in a complete envelope.

IL

07-31-11, 02:40 PM   #5  
If there is no way for the heat to escape then the air gap will be no benefit. Much like an attic with soffit vents and no gable or ridge vent. If the air cannot move it cannot decrease the heat build-up.

Non-US

07-31-11, 03:55 PM   #6  
Thanks! I am not sure what kind of material it is made of - it is almost impossible to tell without drilling at hole into it, so I think a picture would not be very useful. I have seen these kinds of houses being made and the material is some kind of stone board, about 2" thick. I am sure that it is not pure concrete - the weight would be prohibitive - but it looks like a kind of concrete. There is no wood used in building apartments in China...unless you are very wealthy.

Search this Thread