mold smell

Old 08-02-11, 01:02 PM
mold smell

In my office I have a terrible mold smell. There is no obvious water/mold damaged or area the smell is coming from. The room is at or a little above grade. I gane as far a drilling holes through the drywall to see if there is molding growing in the inside...nothing so far.

Today a co-worker asked me if there is insulation or a vapor barrier in the wall. There is not...nothing........i see the block wall through the hole. He said it could be caused by the air in the walls...caught between the hot block wall and cool drywall may be creating moisture and over time mold will go. he suggested having some insulation blown in.

is this mostly likely my issue and will blowing in insulation fix it.....i'd rather not tear down the wall, and rebuild with vapor barrier and insulation if i can avoid it.

thansk

Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-11, 01:06 PM
Group Moderator
Whether it is an issue for you, I don't know but what your co-worker is describing is a missing vapor barrier issue not a missing insulation issue.

Old 08-02-11, 01:18 PM
If there is mold, two things must occur, the mold must be removed or sealed in place and the cause of it being there must be determined and corrected. I don't claim to be an expert in mold, but mold can be an issue with health, yours and others who pass through.

Are mold issues covered by any of your insurance. I have seen schools, banks, and other buildings gutted in an effort to eliminate mold problems.

Bud

Old 08-02-11, 01:33 PM
thanks...yes.....i agree about the vapor barrier. my co-worked was saying having insluation blown in will act as a vapor barrier.....not sure if this is correct or not.

i plan to use an OZONE generator to kill the existing mold

Old 08-02-11, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator
Is your use of an ozone generator only temporary?
Ozone is also a toxic substance and could be as harmful as the mold with continuous exposure!

This will only mask the problem and the best temporary solution IMO would be the installation of an exhaust fan and place for air to enter the building so as to dilute any exposure to a minimum.

Old 08-03-11, 07:08 AM
Group Moderator
Generally speaking, insulation is not a vapor barrier.