mold smell

Reply

  #1  
Old 08-02-11, 01:02 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2004
Location: cheverly, MD
Posts: 83
mold smell

In my office I have a terrible mold smell. There is no obvious water/mold damaged or area the smell is coming from. The room is at or a little above grade. I gane as far a drilling holes through the drywall to see if there is molding growing in the inside...nothing so far.

Today a co-worker asked me if there is insulation or a vapor barrier in the wall. There is not...nothing........i see the block wall through the hole. He said it could be caused by the air in the walls...caught between the hot block wall and cool drywall may be creating moisture and over time mold will go. he suggested having some insulation blown in.

is this mostly likely my issue and will blowing in insulation fix it.....i'd rather not tear down the wall, and rebuild with vapor barrier and insulation if i can avoid it.

thansk
 
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 08-02-11, 01:06 PM
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: WI/MN
Posts: 18,657
Whether it is an issue for you, I don't know but what your co-worker is describing is a missing vapor barrier issue not a missing insulation issue.
 
  #3  
Old 08-02-11, 01:18 PM
Member
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New England
Posts: 9,996
If there is mold, two things must occur, the mold must be removed or sealed in place and the cause of it being there must be determined and corrected. I don't claim to be an expert in mold, but mold can be an issue with health, yours and others who pass through.

Are mold issues covered by any of your insurance. I have seen schools, banks, and other buildings gutted in an effort to eliminate mold problems.

Bud
 
  #4  
Old 08-02-11, 01:33 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2004
Location: cheverly, MD
Posts: 83
thanks...yes.....i agree about the vapor barrier. my co-worked was saying having insluation blown in will act as a vapor barrier.....not sure if this is correct or not.

i plan to use an OZONE generator to kill the existing mold
 
  #5  
Old 08-02-11, 03:09 PM
GregH's Avatar
Super Moderator
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 9,723
Is your use of an ozone generator only temporary?
Ozone is also a toxic substance and could be as harmful as the mold with continuous exposure!

This will only mask the problem and the best temporary solution IMO would be the installation of an exhaust fan and place for air to enter the building so as to dilute any exposure to a minimum.
 
  #6  
Old 08-03-11, 07:08 AM
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: WI/MN
Posts: 18,657
Generally speaking, insulation is not a vapor barrier.
 
Reply

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes