Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Insulation, Radiant and Vapor Barriers
Reload this Page >

What kind of insulation for sauna floor on skid foundation?

Old 09-11-11, 06:30 AM

Making a 5 x 7 foot sauna. It will sit on treated 4 x 4's that sit on a 3 inch base of #57 limestone.

I plan to make a floor box to sit on the treated 4 x 4's consisting of a sheet of 1/2 ply then some 2 x 4's or 2 x 6's for floor joists then underlayment on that with Pergo for interior flooring.

My question is what sort of insulation should I use in the floor box? Will fiberglass work OK or is hard foam block better? Am worried about insulation absorbing moisture from ground.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-11, 03:15 PM
Will you be putting poly under the limestone to help prevent moisture penetration? You could also place rigid foam panels under the stone also. If you insulate with bats, I would suggest a mineral wool material at least that is resistant to mould. You also might consider using 'blue wood' material for your joist structure. It also resists mould growth.

Old 09-11-11, 05:19 PM
No poly planned. What do you think about poly between the insulation and the bottom layer of ply nearest the limestone foundation? Will that work OK?

I can add the poly to the floor box as I listed below. There will also be an airspace of 4 inches between the limestone and the floor box. Was going to put in weed block under the rocks. It lets water drain down. Poly would hold water unless I put in some holes.

An update on the laminate floor. The person at Lowe's said it is not good for moisture, so I decided to use cement board and tiles for floor.

Will check out the mineral wool.

This is the layup plan from the top down:

Tile
Cement board

(Floor box construction)
Top layer of Plywood
2 x 6 non treated floor joists
Insulation
Poly vapor barrier
Bottom layer of plywood
(Floor box sits on)

Treated 4 x 4 skids sitting on