Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

duct insulation and sealing

Non-US

09-26-11, 07:41 PM   #1  
duct insulation and sealing

I am attempting to seal some of our attic ductwork. Sealing is going fine, but I will need to reinstall the old ductwrap insulation. It was held on with string, but that is hard to reattach. It is also hard to feed new string under the ducts which are mounted on ceiling joists.

How is duct wrap insulation normally attached?

I bought some long cable ties and they should work but are a bit expensive.

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

NY

09-27-11, 06:47 AM   #2  
Duct Wrap Insulation Install

Fiberglass Duct wrap is normally installed with the use of pins. These pins are either glued to the duct or have a self stick glue on the back and the pin will be sticking out from the duct. Pierce the duct wrap insulation onto the pin and use a washer to hold the duct wrap onto the duct. Cut the remaining portion of the pin and use foil tape to seal. Also use foil tape or FSK tape (reinforced tape) to seal all the insulation together.

Last edited by Gunguy45; 09-27-11 at 07:49 AM. Reason: Removed links to commercial site

VA

09-27-11, 01:08 PM   #3  
Duct wrap is stapled and sealed with FSK tape. Duct linner is where you use the pins.

Non-US

09-27-11, 08:03 PM   #4  
Don't think my conventional staple gun will work with my insulation. But will look for the FSK tape - sounds like it would be good for sealing the open edges.

I have cable ties for first part of job, but maybe I can find some flexible wire to replace the strings. The strings show up in this pic:

Search this Thread