Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Need help insulating basement!

MA

09-28-11, 06:33 AM   #1  
Need help insulating basement!

Hi everyone,

I am looking to finish a section of my basement. My first question is whether I would need to install different installation on walls abutting the foundation vs. walls that do not abut the foundation (See Photo). Also, could you please give me recommendations for what insulation I should use?

Thanks in advance!

-Luca

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Sponsored Links

ME

09-28-11, 07:25 AM   #2  
Hi luca, here is a link to get you started: BSD-103: Understanding Basements — Building Science Information
What is the room going to be?

Bud

MA

09-28-11, 10:20 AM   #3  
Bud,

It is going to be a billiards room.

ME

09-28-11, 11:49 AM   #4  
I didn't see the cooler and beer keg .
The Building science article above will discuss rigid foam on the exterior walls and omitting the vapor barrier. Rigid foam without plastic or foil is considered a vapor diffusion retarder and permits some drying to the inside, thus no additional VB. Now, why allow it to dry to the inside? This avoids a build up of moisture behind the insulation, whatever is used. Basically, if the moisture is prevented from evaporating, then it will pass through the concrete and accumulate against whatever is blocking it until the moisture level is uniform. That is usually followed by leakage to the inside or funny things growing where you don't want them to.

On the inside walls, if the rest of the basement is unintentionally heated, thus almost comfortable, then very little insulation would be needed. Maybe some sound reduction. If you insulate, then cover both sides, just keeps the insulation where you put it.

Hope that helps,
Bud

Search this Thread