unheated garage insulation

Old 01-08-01, 11:04 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I live near Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Temperature varies, spring, summer, fall & winter with temps from hot & humid to snow and freezing cold. I've moved into a new home and I'm insulating the garage with the intension of installing drywall. I plan on using standard R12 pink bat insulation between the 2x4 studs. Question; should I install a vapour barrier before installing the drywall, is it required if the garage isn't heated?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-01, 03:40 PM
Get the insulation with a kraft face. Makes installation a snap -- just staple it to the studs. That kraft face IS the vapor barrier. No need to do anything else to it.

Old 01-11-01, 10:59 AM
whirichardson
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up He's right

He is definitely right. I'm building now (actually the builder is) and have an oversize garage which I insulated myself using the kraft faced batts installed by overlapping the tabs. In the midst of record cold here in Indiana the garage was very comfortable even without the drywall installed.
My main mistake was doing it too soon. Everytime the lazy subconstractors wanted to run a circuit or line they didn't bother to go back above the sheetrocked garage ceiling where all the services were installed, they just cut through my insulation or tore it out and drilled through the studs. Live and learn.

Old 01-11-01, 01:33 PM
Oh yeah -- I forgot to mention that you need to insulate AFTER the electricians are done!!