Ideas on aerosol foam: 1 out of 2

Old 11-03-11, 05:22 AM
Ideas on aerosol foam: 1 out of 2

After getting the new drywall done, there were little gaps at both ends and I wanted them sealed before proceeding further. I've used aerosol cans of foam before w/good results. Tried a few things:

(A) At the bottom of the walls, easy to apply but, after it dries, not so fun to trim the excess. I was at HD looking for something to cut it with before I appropriated my wife's offset-handle serrated bread knife! In the tool department, I spied one of those double sided flex-blade "Japanese" saws with the teeth reversed so it cuts on the "pull stroke" and I always thought they were neat. Now I had an excuse to buy one (Marples brand, which I recognized). It worked great on the foam, got nice flush cuts. Blade is apparently replaceable, by the way.

(B) At the top, the opening varied quite a bit in size, and my main concern was the fact that the cans need to be used upside down, yet they come with a short, rigid tube. Well, I thought about adding a flex hose, then found a short coil of 3/16" clear flex tubing, so I bought that to extend the "hose" enough to reach the voids w/an inverted can. First, the hose was a bit loose on the can's nozzle (discard supplied rigid tube) to effectively grip the "hose barb" end of the nozzle. I made up a clamp out of thin gardner's wire, twisted tight, that worked. Alas, the internal friction, I guess between the foam and the walls of the tubing made it about impossible to modulate the flow of foam, it either wasn't coming out of came in a gush -- and I thought I had a delicate touch. Gave up after 15-20 feet, made a mess. I cannot recommend this, will go back to conventional caulk.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-11, 12:38 PM
I'll say this; yeah, caulk was so much easier! Probably not as effective an insulator, however, just a draft/dust/big barrier.

I was in HD grabbing tubes of caulk, and there right next to it was another brand of aerosol foam, in a smaller can that looked like it was designed to be used right-side up... I was so tempted...

Old 11-04-11, 12:45 PM
Super Moderator
Ahhh..you probably saw the DAPTex Plus...blue can? In most case thats a better product to have around. Cures flexible but firm. Also cleans up with soap and water.

THE product to use for window and door installation.

Old 11-04-11, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator
Not quite sure what the purpose of your posts are, but since blogging is not allowed on here, I'm moving this to General Chats for now.

Old 11-07-11, 04:54 AM
Not sure what that means, but I tried two ideas on insulating, one worked, one did not -- was passing that on. I can just ask questions from now on...

Old 11-18-11, 11:15 AM
I'm guessing you used Great Stuff. Try the Hilti foam and see if you like it better (also at HD). The tubing is far more secure and flexible, and the foam itself seems to expand more and be more resilient than the Great Stuff. Just my opinions. For bigger gaps it works better and is way easier than caulk.