Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Insulation, Radiant and Vapor Barriers
Reload this Page >

Question - insulating windows seems to promote mold- should I continue to do it?

Question - insulating windows seems to promote mold- should I continue to do it?

Old 11-18-11, 05:28 PM

Hello I am an apartment dweller who has windows that are poorly
installed and drafty. Getting them replaced is not an option.

Last year I used Frost King insulation wraps and this helped with the drafts and kept apartment warmer. However, windows let in lots of moisture-some mornings ice on inside - I live in Ohio- it's not bitter cold, this moisture created mold between plastic sheet and window. Could not clean mold or moisture til spring when I took the plastic off.

Is this unusual?
Anything I can do to still insulate but avoid mold?
Nor sure if this was the dreaded black mold or green mold.
Is it better to insulate and clean the mold in spring OR be cold and not get mold??

Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-11, 05:43 PM
Group Moderator
The moisture is more than likely coming from the inside of the home, not the other way around. You could try to seal the trim to the wall with latex caulk if it isn't already. It would also be leaking where the casing meets the jamb, or the jamb meets the window. Warm air is probably finding it's way around the plastic somehow, where it can condense on the colder than usual glass.

You could also use rope caulking to stick onto any large gaps if you'd like the option to remove it in the spring.

Old 11-23-11, 03:19 PM
Avoiding mold on windows

I had the same problem with one of my windows.

I believe it's the moisture that remains trapped that causes the mold.

First I caulked around the frame with regular caulk, then I used removable caulking everywhere else: where the two sashes meet, where the window meets the sill, etc.

Then I ran a fan on the window for a whole day, to make sure it was completely dry before applying the film.

It worked.

Another thing that works is installing solid pelmets (or valances) above the windows. There is an excellent explanation of the scientific principle behind this on this blog page: Abdallah House - Redesigning a Home: The longest pelmet ever?