Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

cold, drafty space between floors

VA

12-04-11, 09:00 PM   #1  
cold, drafty space between floors

Is it typical for the space between the floors to be cold and drafty? I recently installed recessed lighting in one of the rooms and discovered this condition. Both rooms (above and below) tend to be colder than the rest of the house. I'm in northern VA and the house was built in 1995. Do I need more insulation? I also found a gas supply pipe in the same area between the floors. Could it be the culprit? (bad sealing where the pipe enters the house)

Sponsored Links

ME

12-05-11, 02:46 AM   #2  
Blocking air movement in the space between floors and insulating the band joist is very important. Fiberglass insulation is often used, if any, but unfortunately it does not block air. Here is a link on air sealing from efficiency Vermont with many good tips.
http://www.efficiencyvermont.com/ste...ide_062507.pdf
This is a start.

Bud

VA

12-05-11, 07:36 AM   #3  
Thank you for this reference. Very helpful. Looks like I got a lot work to do re-insulating my house.

ME

12-05-11, 10:06 AM   #4  
Remember, air seal, air seal, air seal, then insulate. Another tip is that a very dens insulation properly installed can also block some air flow. Look up Roxul for reference, is is a mineral wool batt and there may be other brands.

Bud

Search this Thread