Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Framing a block wall - Is a vapor barrier needed.

NJ

12-14-11, 09:13 AM   #1  
Framing a block wall - Is a vapor barrier needed.

I'm remodeling my home and doing as much of the work as possible myself... Today someone pointed out I didnt put up a vapor barrier up before placing insulation in the framing I built over block walls (in my kitchen).

Is that necessary? And if so, what would be the cheapest, easiest way to do that. Keep in mind the framing is already in place.

Also, the framing is about a half inch from the block wall at the furthest parts due to getting the new construction level.

Id appreciate any input... thanks!

Sponsored Links

ME

12-14-11, 11:29 AM   #2  
There is more to it than just not needing a vapor barrier. If the block wall is exposed to soil or the weather it can transfer moisture to the inside. From there it should not be in contact with anything mold can feed on. At the bottom where the wall or floor has to be in contact with the concrete, you need to use a treated wood product. Now, that's just one rendition what you might be required to do. The rules you need to follow are issued by your local code department and yes, they do vary.

I'll add a link from the building science group to give you a background.
BSD-106: Understanding Vapor Barriers — Building Science Information

and: http://www.eere.energy.gov/buildings...s/db/35017.pdf

Bud

NJ

12-14-11, 02:12 PM   #3  
I should have mentioned this is an above ground structure. My foyer is built the same way, but thats finished with plaster and painted (they were added at some point and built with cinder block walls).

So the walls meet the ground, but theres a crawlspace under each of these rooms, separating them from the ground. And the outside is vinyl siding.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

12-14-11, 02:30 PM   #4  
As Bud said, the vapor barrier will go on the warm side of the studs. You want the back side of the studs and wall to breathe. Your kraft facing on the insulation is considered a vapor barrier....not a great one, but it's there.

NJ

12-14-11, 04:40 PM   #5  
Chandler,
Sounds like your saying the current setup is okay... Theres room between the block wall and framing and the paper side of the insulation is facing the interior.

I had someone suggest there should also be a vapor barrier in the space between the block and framing too, as to keep moisture out of the insulation. And I figured the only way that could be done well would be to paint the block with something...

So am I alright the way it is?

Search this Thread