Great stuff

Old 12-16-11, 07:39 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Great stuff

if it can be done, how can i make a can usable for multi sprays ? = half a can today, half a can next week, for example.

thanx

Old 12-16-11, 07:43 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
For a week or so, you should be fine. Couple of months might be a different matter, though I checked a can of DAPTex Plus latex window and door almost a year after I had last used it and it was still fine.

You'll need to push a wire or something through the tube to get the last of the foam out before it hardens. A small dowel or maybe a piece of wire would work. Not water....unless you are using the DAP Tex brand latex foam.

Old 12-16-11, 09:17 AM
W
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
One of the problems with Great Stuff is the shape of the nozzle. It's difficult to clean. Even then I've spent the time to clean the nozzle and when I tried to use it again - nothing.

Now when I buy a can I try to use it all and then toss it.

Old 12-16-11, 09:29 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
I use Wayne's approach. I try to save up some less important spots where I can waste the remainder of a can when opened. I purchased one of the guns for larger projects, and it does better at holding over time, but between the cleaning solution (cans) and the cost of the larger cans to fit the gun there was little net savings for me. Now I know why I see cases of spent cans all over the place on job sites, it just isn't worth the hassle.

Bud

Old 12-16-11, 09:38 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Leave the tube on the can, for one thing. Get yourself some wooden shish-kabob sticks, they are the perfect thing for poking caulking tubes and poking through the narrow foam tubes. The tube comes off the elbow of the foam can, making it easier to clean, so keep that in mind. IMO it also makes sense to store the cans upside down when you have a partial can that is almost empty. Keeping them room temperature or warmer (set in front of a heater) will help you get the last little bit out of them, which is especially a problem in the winter.

If using the large cans with the gun/trigger dispenser, ALWAYS leave the can on the gun. The only time I clean mine is just a little spray around the oriface that the can attaches to, which I do right before I attach a new can. I'll go through 20 cases of foam before I use up one can of cleaner.

Old 12-17-11, 07:05 AM
C
thanx guys. i was thinking of using "brake cleaner", with the straw, to clean out the tube and can. watcha think ?

Old 12-18-11, 02:27 PM
C
Originally Posted by condo-owner
i was thinking of using "brake cleaner", with the straw, to clean out the tube and can.
i use a half can today. and this is what i did. we'll see if it works.

Old 01-09-12, 07:40 PM
Great Stuff lists on their label as one use. I've tried cleaning to use a second time with no success. I'd be grateful if someone posts a proven way to use the foam more than one use.

Old 01-09-12, 07:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
reread my post. I use and reuse partial cans all the time. Every once in a while when you go to reuse a can, you might need to unscrew the nozzle and pick the "booger" out of the tube that the nozzle screws to.

If you really want to get crazy and clean the tube (neck of the can) off immediately after use, just buy the cans of foam cleaner that they sell along with the larger "commercial size" cans of foam. But IMO it's best to leave the nozzle as is and clean it once it's hard by poking the hard boogers clean through the nozzle.

Old 01-09-12, 07:48 PM
C
i believe what i did will work. but i have yet to use the can again. once i do, i will report the results.

Old 01-16-12, 07:43 AM
H
You can use some 14/2 romex sheathing as a replacement nozzle. The diameter is a perfect friction-fit. I usually leave the original nozzle on there after using it, and when I want to reuse the can I just unscrew the first and use the romex minus all the insides. Works good for getting in tight places or for long reaches too.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: