Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Insulation Above Carport

PA

12-28-11, 07:00 AM   #1  
Insulation Above Carport

The roof and attic on my ranch home extends all the way above our carport. The ceiling of this carport is soffit/fascia with the usual vent holes. The room adjacent to this carport is always much colder than the other rooms of the house.

Can I insulate the attic directly above this carport? I am under the impression that covering those vent holes in the carport ceiling will somehow cause damage, or moisture build-up.

So essentially all the cold or warm air comes up through those vent holes in the carport and effects the temperature of the adjacent spare room.

Sponsored Links

ME

12-28-11, 08:02 AM   #2  
jonnymo,
in the attic above both, is there a wall between the attics? Since fumes from the carport can be pulled up into that carport attic, it would be important and code to have an approved fire break between those spaces.

Now, if there is a wall with proper drywall/fire barrier (and I'm not an expert on this) then the only areas to be concerned with would be the ceiling above the cold room and the wall between the car port and the house. If there is a basement, the rim joist might need attention as well.

Bud

Group Moderator

WI

12-28-11, 08:13 AM   #3  
So you have an enclosed ceiling above your carport?

PA

12-28-11, 09:11 AM   #4  
Insulation Above Carport

Bud,

There is an outside wall sperating the room from the carport.

Mitch,

The ceiling above carport is enclosed. If you are in my attic, joists go all the way over the carport, and there is room for more batting. I'm just hesitant to put more in because it would be directly over those ventiation holes.

I'm thinking that adding insulation would make that room warmer.

ME

12-28-11, 09:29 AM   #5  
Still not sure if the attic over the carport is open to the attic over the house. If not, no need to insulate over the car port. If that carport attic is open to the house, then it needs an approved wall, but still no insulation above the port.

Bud

Group Moderator

WI

12-28-11, 09:36 AM   #6  
There are baffles you can install to maintain the roof ventilation so the insulation you add does not cover them.

Based on your description, I think some insulation might help but it's hard to say.

PA

12-28-11, 10:19 AM   #7  
Insulation Over Carport

Bud,

It took me a while, but now I understand your question. Yes, the attic over carport is open to the rest of the attic. One could walk from one end of the attic to the other. There is no break, like a wall.

Group Moderator

WI

12-28-11, 10:25 AM   #8  
How's the insulation above the living spaces? I would think that would be a lot more important than what's over the carport.

PA

12-28-11, 10:31 AM   #9  
Insulation Over Carport

Mitch,

Well now, the insulation over the living space could use another layer. However, as much as I like to do home improvement, croutching and soft stepping around my attic is not a project I want to do myself. I've considered renting a blow in machine, or hiring the job out. I guess if I were careful, and took my time, I could avoid falling through the ceiling.

ME

12-28-11, 11:47 AM   #10  
There should be a fire wall between the carport attic and the house attic to prevent Carbon Monoxide exhaust fumes from being pulled into the attic above the living space. Also to limit the spread of a fire. Once that is isolated, then there would be no need for insulation over the carport.

What we actually need to consider is the insulation and air sealing needed in the house to warm up the cold spots. It may also be a heat delivery problem.

Bud

Search this Thread