Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

insulating a wall within a wall

IL

01-16-12, 07:53 PM   #1  
insulating a wall within a wall

Here is my dilemma. I have a metal building which I have studded in a room on the inside. the metal vertical siding has maybe an inch of insulation with a foiled back already. Im wanting to insulate the new walls that face the outside. Where would I put a vapor barrier or should I? There is a void between studded walls and steel structure. i just think I need more insulation then just what is adhered to the siding. Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NE

01-16-12, 07:58 PM   #2  
The vapor barrier always goes on the warm side of the wall, so assuming you are in a cold climate and that this room will be heated, the vapor barrier will go over your insulation, over your studs, and then you can drywall.

Even if the foil faced insulation would qualify as a vapor barrier, I don't think you need to worry about having a double vapor barrier since there is space between the two and any moisture "trapped" will surely be able to migrate out.

One question I would have though... if the back side of this wall is open, what's going to keep mice from getting into that void and building condo's in your wall insulation?

IL

01-17-12, 08:21 AM   #3  
Condo's huh! really never thought about that and location wise its a good possibility. Guses the outside will have to be sealed pretty good and then no promises metal building and all. Anyway thanks for the info.

Search this Thread