Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Insulation, Radiant and Vapor Barriers
Reload this Page >

sealing gaps in hardwood floors - caulk or wood filler?

Old 01-17-12, 11:09 PM

Looking to seal a variety of small gaps in our hardwood floors to close air gaps. Considering colored caulking or wood filler. I could probably come close to the color with caulking but the wood filler is stainable.

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-12, 03:37 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
wood filler would be the best option in my opinion

Old 01-18-12, 04:59 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Is the floor already finished? or are you in the process of refinishing the floor? How wide are the cracks?

Old 01-18-12, 11:31 PM
The floors are finished. These are small gaps around the perimeter. Probably 1/4 inch wide.

Old 01-19-12, 06:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Wood filler will most likely involve sanding and refinishing....... and filler might fall thru a 1/4" gap

I'd lean towards using a colored caulk. Keep a damp rag handy and caulk the crack wiping off any excess that gets on the top of the wood.

I just re read your original post - is the gap in the flooring? or is it between the flooring and base board? If it's the latter, stain/poly some shoe mold to match and nail it tightly to the baseboard while pressing it tight to the floor.

Old 11-20-12, 03:35 PM
Gaps in Pine Floors

I have some 100yr old heart pine floors we just had refinished in my kitchen. I need to get the cracks filled (maybe 1/4") to keep food and stuff out. I've heard people talk about colored caulk, but do you reckon that clear caulk would work? I like the look of the cracks, but need them sealed up to keep out water/food

Old 11-21-12, 02:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums bryantward!

Why weren't the cracks addressed during the refinishing process?

Clear caulk would work just as well as colored caulking but it's the nature of caulk to not dry to a hard film. What this means is the caulking will likely catch and hold dirt/dust. And caulk doesn't clean well