Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Insulation, Radiant and Vapor Barriers
Reload this Page >

does interior basement walls need insulation on half finished basement

Old 01-27-12, 06:31 PM

Im in the early stages of planing a future finished basement. Im only going to finish a 2/3 for now, budget and all. It will be two rooms a family and bedroom. Should I insulate the walls facing the unfinished side or will it really matter?

Appreciate any advise. I tried another DIY site and was told to hire someone.....which defeats the DIY part lol.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-12, 08:21 PM
The first issue would be insulating the basement walls. If the basement walls on the unfinished side are insulated, then there might not be a need for insulation in a dividing wall. Sound is another consideration.

Basements are a major source of heat loss. Air leakage above the foundation, that wood rim around the top, and the exposed concrete should all be addressed.

Bud

Old 01-28-12, 05:39 AM
The unfinished side will not be insulated which is why I was wondering about insulating the wall that will run along the unfinished side of the basement. That top rim part between the concrete wall and the upper floor has some type of insulation from the builder. Couldnt tell you if its any good or not. I know the climate of the basement is not as controlled as the rest of the house but figured I can try and get it as good as my budget can get me.

Thanks!

Old 01-28-12, 05:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
What is the temp and humidity like now in the basement? compared to the rest of the house.

btw - welcome to the forums!

Old 01-28-12, 06:46 AM
Just don't make the mistake of over-insulating, especially if the basement will be a conditioned space in the future. You don't lose as much heat as people think since the soil is warmer than the air in the winter and cooler than the air in the summer when you are using AC.

If you eventually plan to use the space as finished living space, make sure the returns are low to get the most benefits out of the newer furnaces/air handlers that have efficient fans. It makes a world of difference in the comfort, although you do not get that cold in MO, but you do get hot and humid in the summer.

Dick

Old 01-28-12, 01:39 PM
Humidity is bad in Mo but does not exist in my basement. Always cool all year round down there. Glad you mentioned the cold air return. My heater/ac is all electric was going to ask if you think its necessary. I figured at the very lease it will help pull the heat through the room?