Adding garage door insulation?

Old 01-29-12, 03:40 PM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Adding garage door insulation?

I have a Ideal RP2GF garage door with some insulation. Looks like a foam board. I don't know the R value.

I was thinking about adding some insulation. There is a kit from Owens Corning. Is it worthwhile to add some more insulation (we have the bedroom above the garage)? Are there other systems? The OC product seems to have a tendency to detach based on online reviews.

Old 01-29-12, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Don't know the brand or the door, and a search doesn't show the details.....but you could just buy foam insulation and glue it down using the correct adhesive (for foam board). You will still lose some from any exposed metal from the inside to outside, but it would help.

Do you already have the weatherstrip that seals the edges and top? That will do more than the foam.

Old 01-29-12, 04:28 PM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
There is an other sticker: Omega Point Laboratories - Insulated Panels - CBPC - Product ID #15130-1. Looks like a fire rating. States: max foam core thickness: 7/8". If so, I don't think this is a high R value.

I was also thinking about adding foam boards. But I would need to cut in smaller pieces to fit within the panels. How about adding reflective bubble wrap?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: