Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Insulation, Radiant and Vapor Barriers
Reload this Page >

Insulating our walls with the expanding foam, or any suggestion to insulate

Insulating our walls with the expanding foam, or any suggestion to insulate

Old 03-09-12, 08:49 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Insulating our walls with the expanding foam, or any suggestion to insulate

We own a three sided brick house. The back of the house (one side) is all wood panels on the exterior.

We were running a cable and opened up one area. We found the pink insulation inside that was very minimal. I have seen the expanding foam insulation products that I thought we could add to the pink stuff, or pull out the pink stuff and put in the foam. Or add a thicker insulation without any foam?

Is that a good idea? The space is about a four inch between the sheet rock and back wood panels on the outside. So like the frame - 2 X 4's. The length of the area is 10 foot high and about 30 feet across the back.

Are there better suggestions for wall insulation? Also, normally I have seen that people take all the sheetrock down, insulate and put up new sheetrock. Can we take the 8' X 10" panels off the back of the house outside and insulate the wall from that side? There is probably a house wrap, but we could remove that, add insulation and put house wrap back? Then re-install the same wood panels back on the outside. They are in good condition.

Second idea - can we put holes in the sheetrock and put foam inside without taking all the sheetrock down?

Any ideas on how to add insulation in the wall without taking all the sheetrock down and re-installing?

Thanks, Susan

Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-12, 02:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 41 Posts
Fiberglass insulation should not be compressed so I would not put foam in with it. Also, the foam in the can would cost you way too much money to use, it's designed to be used in small areas - for actually using spray foam as insulation, there is a different process which most people hire done.

As to insulating from the outside, you could do it but there should be wood (plywood, OSB,...) sheathing under that housewrap, you're not going to get it in the walls that way. That said, you could attach XPS foam that way but your house would be thicker and that may cause issues for putting the siding back on.