Insulating a Garage

Old 03-20-12, 07:40 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Insulating a Garage

I just added a garage onto our house and want to insulate it. There are a few things that I would some input on. Should I use mold resistant sheet rock on the walls of the garage? What size of thickness of sheet rock should I use for the ceiling of the garage? The rafters are 24 inches on center if that helps. Then I plan on putting plywood in the attic of the garage so I can use it for storage. So what do I do when it comes to the edges where the ventilation is? How do I get insulation in there without blocking the ventilation for the attic of the garage? Any information would be appreciated. I am somewhat handy but please explain yourself the easiest way possible.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-12, 08:32 AM
Group Moderator
Received 194 Votes on 180 Posts
If the garage is attached to your house you need to check what your codes require for fire barriers. The code will specify what minimum is required and may require 5/8" gypsum board. I think 5/8" might be required to span the 24" without sagging but it might also be required for fire protection.

There are insulation dams made of cardboard or foam board that you nail or staple between the rafters that will prevent insulation from getting out to the eaves and clogging the vents.

Old 03-20-12, 09:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
If you don't use 5/8" drywall on the ceiling it is very likely it will sag over time. You'd also need 5/8" on the common wall to the house - required by code [local code could be stricter] IMO there isn't any need for mold resistant drywall - primer and paint should provide all the protection it needs.