Need to cover electrical box

Old 03-24-12, 06:44 PM
Need to cover electrical box

Hi - Do I need to cover this electrical box with sheet metal or can i blow cellouse insulation over it?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-12, 03:19 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Is it exposed below? I see a rim of a cover plate on top of the sheetrock, which indicates it is hidden from below. If so, it is a code violation. It must remain accessible. IF it is a plaster ring, then it is cool. Covering the box on top is no problem.

Old 03-25-12, 04:08 AM
Group Moderator
There is no access from the back side. Yes, you can cover it with insulation.

As Chandler said, you need access from the front.

Old 03-25-12, 08:59 AM
Sorry,i'm a newbie. what do you mean "access from the front?" It's in the attic and on the floor, so access would need to come from our 2nd floor? I would have no idea how to access it or how to search to access for it. any ideas?

Old 03-25-12, 09:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You'd need to cut the drywall out below it to give you access for the box to be legal. If you can't find it by measuring you could push a nail thru next to the box and then hunt for it on the ceiling below.

Old 03-25-12, 09:35 AM
Group Moderator
All this "accessible" stuff we are talking about stems from the requirement that all electrical boxes must be accessible, meaning that you can get at them without destroying the wall finish.

Looking at your box that you have in the picture, you are fine with covering it up with insulation and covering it. This is not the accessible side.

We are referring to the finished side, the side with the paint and where you live. This box should have a light fixture or a cover on it that you could access at a later date. If it is, then your golden. If not, you need to find the box and put a cover on it. It can not be sheetrocked over.

I feel we may have made this way more complex then it really is. I hope this clears everything up and answers your original question.

Old 03-25-12, 11:58 AM
awesome, thanks for all your help guys. going to finish blowing the insulation. Many thanks,