Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Re-Building 2x4 Exterior Wall

CANADA

04-11-12, 09:19 AM   #1  
Re-Building 2x4 Exterior Wall

Hello All

My wife and i recently bought on old home in Saskatchewan Canada (Zone 7) with a cinder block basement on concrete slab. The house was built in the 50's and the current framing is 2x4. We plan on redoing the inside and outside as the both need to be replaced.

My plan for the wall is
Vinyl Siding
2" Styrofoam Board (For extra R-value)
2x4 frame with bat insulation
Vapor Barrier
Drywall

Does anyone see any issues with this? Or have a cheaper/more effective solution? Should I use a house wrap as well?

Any input would be appreciated

thanks
-Marc

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

WI

04-11-12, 09:57 AM   #2  
I'd skip the vapor barrier and go with foam instead of bats in the wall cavities. I'd also put sheathing on the outside of the 2x4s and then house wrap between that and the stryrfoam board insulation.

CANADA

04-11-12, 10:05 AM   #3  
Hey Mitch

Thanks for the reply. About the sheathing, yes you are right, I had planned to do that but forgot to put it in the list. So the list should read:
Vinyl Siding
2" Styrofoam Board (For extra R-value)
OSB or Plywoood sheathing
2x4 frame with bat insulation
Vapor Barrier
Drywall

I like your plan with the house wrap as well.

I know what you are saying about the foam instead of bat, I agree with you that it will give a much better vapor/air barrier. But since I will be going one room at a time, which means the spray guys would have to make several trips and its so BLOODY expensive to start out with I am not sure the extra cost is worth it. Any thoughts?

Thanks
-Marc

Search this Thread