insulating sill up to sub floor in basement

Old 05-22-12, 08:14 AM
insulating sill up to sub floor in basement

My house was built in 1960. there is no insul. at all from the sill up to the subfloor on the exterior walls. And some spots I can see the light coming in from out side. What would be the best way to insul. and make it tight? I was thinking going the lowes and getting the spray foam insul. and spraying it about 1" think from the sill up to the subfloor and 6" into the basment from the wall on the sub floor. so it will be a horse shoe of 1" thick of foam insul. then put batt insul. to fill the rest. Or is there other ideas u guys have?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-12, 12:39 PM
Ok I tride this, and it did not work to good. So I was thinking of spraying foam insulation just on the joits and then getting Owens Corning Foamular F-250. Cut the board to fit in each joint and spary foam around the 250. if I put two 250 together thats r-20. Is this a good idea and what is the best way to tie them together and onto the wood?

Old 06-11-12, 02:14 PM
It depends upon your access but in any case batt insulation, of any material, would be my last choice. You could cut individual pieces of extruded foam insulation or polyisocyanurate insulation board (foil faced is my preference) and then using the single component spray foam easily available from any homecenter or lumberyard seal and glue the foamboard in place. I would use nothing less than two-inch thick material.

OR, if you have irregularly shaped spaces then using a two-component spray foam would make sense PROVIDING that you have good access. The two-component foam expands in seconds to fill the cavity and hardens within a minute. It also has a maximum of 20 seconds between spraying/not spraying or it hardens in the spray gun tip. The stuff IS expensive and there is definitely a learning curve. If you have easy access AND a lot to do then hiring an insulation company will cost very little more than buying the DIY kits.

Old 06-13-12, 12:49 PM
I found this board. Dow 1" x 8' x 4' Polyisocyanurate Insulated Sheathing. Just put two boards together to get the 2"? So thats an R-13. What type / kind of glue are we talking about here?

I can get to 98% of all the ends.

I looked in to that diy spray foam, its not for me.

can I glue these boards to my block wall foundation to contral the moisture in the basement and contral the temp and heat loss too?

Old 06-13-12, 05:13 PM
If it is foil-faced insulation board you can use construction adhesive on the foil. Do not use anything but foam insulation adhesive on the foam itself.

Honestly, why not look for two-inch thick insulation board? It is readily available.

If you have a water/moisture problem on your concrete walls that really needs to be addressed BEFORE insulating the walls.

Old 06-14-12, 11:18 AM
Yes is dose have the foil on both sides of the board. This stuff with the foil is hard to find here. lowes only has the 1/2" or 1" and i have to order it and homedepo has it on there site but no store with in 100 miles of me sells it in the store.

ok, thats another project I have to do.

my other quetion can I use this on the underside of the subfloor in the basement? instead of me laying in batts on the ceiling?

Im going to remodel my bathroom this winter. I was going to take out the old batt and put new batts in but what if I put 2" of this board in and then batt r-13 ? can that be done.

Is there other stores that sells this stuff, that I can buy it online? Or different brand?