Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Crawl Space Vent - doesn't close?

01-20-01, 04:09 PM   #1  
I just moved into a home and noticed two of my crawl space vents are open. The other two have insullation packed into them - so they may be open as well. Question 1, do they open and close from the inside or outside? Question 2, if I can't get them closed, should I leave the insullation packed in there and take it out in the summer?

Sponsored Links

WA

01-20-01, 06:30 PM   #2  
First off, how cold is it where you live? If you are in an extremely cold climate, I would leave things just as they are until summer, then take the insulation out of the ones that have it. Put it back in next fall, when the weather cools off again. You don't want to totally close off the crawl space ventilation at any time of the year. And if you can leave one on each side of the house open, so you have some cross ventilation, that is better. As far as closing the dampers over the foundation vents, the ones I'm familiar with have a handle on them so you can close them from the outside.

01-21-01, 09:44 AM   #3  
I double checked outside and there is no way to close it from the outside. I live in Chicago and temperature last night was 5 degress - brrrr. My crawl is 27x20 and I have 4 crawl vents. Two on one side are packed with insullation. Two on the front have insulation - but it's not packed in tight - I can see daylight through it. Should I pack it in (add more) to those and then in the summer remove insulation from all 4 vents?

WA

01-21-01, 09:23 PM   #4  
I would leave the 2 that you can see daylight through alone. I would remove a little of the insulation from the 2 that are packed tight, so you can see daylite through them. This should do a pretty fair job of blocking the wind under the house, while still allowing for some ventilation. This spring, remove all of the insulation. Put it back in the fall.

01-22-01, 06:45 AM   #5  
lefty,

Thanks for all your help. I did exactly as you suggested. The temperature in the crawl and gotten a little colder as a result (it's unheated). Do I need to worry about the cold and my sump pump which is in there. And I know cold air drops, but is this going to make my hardwood floors colder?

Search this Thread