Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

walls vs. ceiling heat loss calcs (if all things considered equal)

CANADA

06-27-12, 09:34 AM   #1  
walls vs. ceiling heat loss calcs (if all things considered equal)

I'm looking for a quick and dirty calculation to set my priorities on insulating a attic room. I have full intention to redo both the walls and ceiling, but want to get the higher loss completed first, just in case something happens and I fail to complete.

The room is in the attic, 2 walls are seporating the room from the attic, 1 wall is seporating the room from the stairs up, and the last wall is slant ceiling/exterior wall.

A quick google search and a few pages later, I have come up with a rough calc which I am wonder if it's suitable for judgine which should be a higher priority.

Total wall square footage = value A
Ceiling square footage x 1.5 = value B
Value A > Value B = Walls priority
Value A < Value B = Ceiling priority

Does this make any sense or am I totally out to lunch?

Sponsored Links

CANADA

06-27-12, 10:27 AM   #2  
The situation I have is a room in the attic, which is too hot in the summer to use (~90'F when the rest of the house is ~78'F), and a bit too cool for sleeping during the winter.

It's interior walls are plaster, and the exterior (in the attic) is old school plank boards.
A previous owner had filled the walls (and assuming the ceiling) of the room with blow insulation, which has more then likely packed down leaving the tops of the walls uninsulated (even though 4" of blow has very little R value).

Search this Thread