Insulation in Garage ? Yes or No ?

Old 01-22-01, 09:26 AM
Mikey C
Visiting Guest
Question

I own a single home with a 2 car garage that is semi-attached. Basically, I have a door that goes from my 1st. floor foyer area that steps down into my Garage. The Garage has a pitched roof with storage.
QUESTION: The two exterior walls of my Garage are not insulated. Will insulating with an R-11 or so help ? or is this just a waste of time. Being it's a garage, their are some drafts from the garage doors and of course the concrete floor is cold.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-01, 04:49 PM
Insulating the walls and attic of the garage will make a difference on your utility bills (albeit not a great one), and will keep the garage a couple of degrees warmer in the winter and a few degrees cooler in the summer. But you would probably get a much better return on your investment, in terms of energy savings, if you added the insulation to the attic of the house, upgraded the windows if need be, etc.

Old 01-23-01, 06:03 AM
Mikey C
Visiting Guest
Thanks Lefty... I will insulate the walls of the garage first between the studs, see if there'll be a difference in warmth. Really just need to take the chill off the garage. I'll probably do a Kraft-Face R-11. As far as the rafters of the garage, I'll wait on that one. That project would be a bit more involved.

I'm planning on placing additional insulation to the attic in the next few weeks. Thanks...

Old 01-23-01, 10:55 AM
Insulating the walls, but not the attic, of the garage isn't going to make a noticable difference. 80% of whatever heat is in the garage is being lost through the attic.

Old 01-23-01, 11:27 AM
Mikey C
Visiting Guest
Lefty:
Let me detail the garage situation better for you.
2 Door Garage approx. 14x18. Pitched Roof with 1 Gable Vent.(No Fan Ventilation) Semi-attached garage with an entrance into 1st floor of the house. The Garage storage area(attic)is minimal at best. Basically, a couple of sheets of 5/8" plywood in the rafters. I'd say half the rafters are covered, basically at the peak of the pitched roof. The rest is open. Can't really lay in insulation since it's not finished completely from one eve to the other. QUESTION: Should I still do the R-11 on the outside walls between the studs? Or should I lay in more plywood and finish the attic storage area so I could insulate ceiling rafters completely? Ultimately, my goal is to cut back on the cold air draft when going in an out of the house to the garage. Also, to keep the garage a bit warmer. Right now the paint, and spray items are frozen.

Old 01-23-01, 10:23 PM
For less than what you would spend on plywood (at $25 per sheet) to finish laying in the rafters, you could buy sheetrock the entire ceiling. If you are really serious about this, use R-13 batts to insulate all of the rafters, then sheetrock the ceiling. Then insulate the walls. However, after doing all of this, I think you will find that you will cut the drafts in the garage, but you won't raise the temp very much. and you'll still get the cold draft whenever you open the door between the house and the garage. Look at the garage door. What are you going to do about that? Even if you have an insulated roll-up door and insulate the ceiling and the walls, you don't want to spend the money on trying to heat the garage.

How about another idea? Do you have room to build a small air lock between the garage and the house? A 3' by 3-1/2' room, with the door on the garage side that swings into the garage, and the door on the house side that swings into the house. Just a thought.

Old 01-24-01, 05:52 AM
Mikey C
Visiting Guest
Great. Thanks. Buying and placing 1/2" drywall on the rafters is the way to go. Thanks for the idea. And your right, by the time I spend $25 bucks on 4x8 sheets of plywood, I can save that money and by insulation.
Don't think I have the room to build out a small room area at my entrance from the garage to the house. Plus, my wife would probably smash into it when she pulls the car in. Always gotta think of those things !!

Lefty: If you have time, I also posted a message(question)in the Basements section. I think it's subject is labeled "Insulating Concrete Basement Wall". If you have a comment, please post it for me. Thanks....