poured foam insulation ???? in walls - DYI

Old 01-24-01, 06:45 AM
Visiting Guest
anyone done a DYI poured foam insulation in walls?
where did you buy the product? what was it ? what problems did you have?

have an old victorian that needs insulation in walls, want most I can get.

thanks,

Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-01, 04:44 AM
I do not believe this is a DIY project. Poured foam insualtion is pretty tightly controlled. I know of no place you can purchase it. I believe you also need a chemical license to install it. It is great stuff. Just controlled.

Old 01-25-01, 07:38 PM
Visiting Guest
the materials are available from several sources

thanks Jack for the input. However, the materials are available from several distributors .. there is a slow expansion product from three manufactures, both in one part and in 2 part throw away containers ... containers go up to 160 cubic feet of expanded product .. with r factors up to 7 per inch.

they are expensive products and have to applied VERY carefully, but product cost plus special items is less than 40 percent of the cost to have the work done by contractors.

while the wall portion cost of contracted cellulose for my home is about $1,650.oo for materials and scaffolds labor and profit, the cost of `slow expansion wall foam for the same job is quoted at $8,100 and $9,200 by local applicators. They have a `lock' on the products that they use. The other products are recent developments. RHH and FOMO, and Versi are the three manufactures I am dealing with.

Mike