Styrafoam Insulation in Crawlspace

Old 09-21-12, 08:01 PM
Styrafoam Insulation in Crawlspace

I have a porch attached to my house that has a crawl space under it. I lose some heat through the wall and windows of the house which interface with this crawl space. I happen to have a large quantity of Styrofoam coolers. I'm thinking of putting these coolers in the crawl space. I have enough to file the crawl space. My question is, will this help insulate that part of the house? I'm sure it would make some difference, especially if I made sure the space is completely filled by stuffing fiberglass insulation in any left over spaces. Also, I'm wondering if I should bother putting anything inside the coolers (like fiberglass insulation). I've got to store the coolers some where anyway.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-12, 09:16 PM
Welcome to the forums!

Is this an enclosed porch? And when you say
I lose some heat through the wall and windows of the house which interface with this crawl space.
are you talking about the foundation wall, and windows in it, under the porch?

A first reaction is that insulating the floor, and ventilating the space under that, might help a bit. Filling the space with anything, and preventing airflow, might make matters worse. Mold, mildew and rot would probably flourish in that environment.

Floor insulation comes in a distant third behind ceiling insulation and wall insulation, as well as controlling heat gain or loss through windows and doors, when it comes to saving money and increasing comfort.

Old 09-28-12, 06:45 PM
Hi, thanks for the welcome and responding to my question.
No, it is not an enclosed porch. Yes, I am talking about the foundation wall and windows under the porch. The simple solution would be to simply staple insulation to the windows. But I have so many of the Styrofoam coolers. The area under the porch would not have air that contains too much moisture in it. I wish I could draw a picture to give you a better idea...hard to describe in words.

Old 09-28-12, 09:42 PM
I feel like I'm must be missing something. I'm just not sure what it is. There are two things I think I'm clear about though:
I am talking about the foundation wall and windows under the porch.
There should not be any windows in the foundation wall below and behind an outside porch. Maybe a vent opening or two, but no windows.

I happen to have a large quantity of Styrofoam coolers. I'm thinking of putting these coolers in the crawl space.
That you have, and want to store, a lot of Styrofoam coolers does not mean that stuffing them into the ventilated space under an exterior porch is a good idea. As I said earlier
Originally Posted by Nashkat1
Filling the space with anything, and preventing airflow, might make matters worse. Mold, mildew and rot would probably flourish in that environment.
I wish I could draw a picture to give you a better idea...hard to describe in words.
If you have, or can take, some pictures, you can share them with us. See How To Put Pictures In Your Post.