indoor insulation for 2x4s on CMU

Old 10-04-12, 09:26 PM
indoor insulation for 2x4s on CMU

Hi! Just framed out a wall in the kitchen that is against the exterior wall (above grade) which is a 12" thick CMU wall (see attached photo, please don't make fun, it had to be framed in place due to the house settling over the last 100 years and it's my first time doing this). Anyways, the holes in the wall are patched and it's sealed up. However, I'm thinking about installing some batt before I throw the 5/8" drywall on. I live in the high desert of colorado (<8" precip/year) and am wondering if I can just get away with R-15 insulation without a vapor barrier? Since the CMU is so thick and I'm in such a dry climate above grade that I can just throw up the pink stuff, drywall over and call it good.

RIGHT?

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-12, 09:35 PM
Group Moderator
I know it's pretty arid out there, but I would still recommend you use a vapor barrier on the interior side. If this was a below grade basement wall I think it would be a different story. Kraft faced insulation (vapor retarder) would be good enough, IMO. Staple the kraft facing to the face of the studs, not to the sides of the studs.

You don't want warm, moist conditioned air from the inside condensing on the cold masonry wall in the winter. The VB will help prevent that from happening.

Old 10-04-12, 09:59 PM
Wow quick response, thank you. So this would work just fine? I want to have this wall, albeit small, up tomorrow so I can start taping, mudding and texturing it by the end of the weekend.

[h=2]Owens Corning EcoTouch R-13 Kraft 3-1/2 in. x 15 in. x 32 ft. Continuous Roll Insulation[/h]EcoTouch R-13 Kraft 3-1/2 in. x 15 in. x 32 ft. Continuous Roll Insulation-RF10 at The Home Depot

Old 10-05-12, 05:08 AM
Group Moderator
Yes, that looks like the stuff. Be sure to cut the insulation about 1" longer than you think so that you don't have any gaps at the top or bottom of the wall plates.

Just another tip, if your wall is 9ft instead of 8ft, look for drywall that is 54"x12', rather than the 48" wide stuff. When you hang the 54" sheets horizontally, it will save you some taping.

Old 10-05-12, 06:33 AM
Thanks! Off to pick it up now and install it. Unfortunately I already bought the 48" drywall as I'm just learning about all of this. But next time...

Old 10-05-12, 07:11 AM
Group Moderator
If you have 9' walls, I would look into taking the 48" drywall back if you can - that's less work than the extra cutting and mudding and taping you'd have to go through with the narrower sheets.

Old 10-05-12, 01:48 PM
Well I couldn't find any at my HD store and moving boards to truck, exchanging and then moving the boards back in the house sounds like more work than dealing with an extra seam or two. Luckily it's a small room and having never mudded/taped I can use the extra practice

All insulated up!

Attached Images  
Old 10-05-12, 02:32 PM
Group Moderator
Yep, you'll get lots of practice. Be patient, you really do want at least nearly perfect results, as paint tends to make imperfections more noticeable, not less so. If you mess up, you either apply more mud or sand off what you have. Also, stick with the paper tape, it's actually stronger than the mesh stuff.

Old 10-05-12, 05:11 PM
I could have used that patience advice yesterday! However, after one strip of trying to throw down tape like it was going out of style i realized patience is the key. I have paper tape!