insulating unfinished attic space

Old 11-15-12, 08:27 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
insulating unfinished attic space

single story home built in mid 1940's. Attic has soffits and roof ridge vents.

Due to code issues and crawlspace size had to relocate furnace to attic space.

Because we have knob and tube wiring I can only insulate some areas of the atttic floor. Looking for advice on most economical way to insulate the roof rafters.

Old 11-15-12, 09:13 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,289 Upvotes on 1,227 Posts
What kind of insulation is on the attic floor now? Typically, you don't want insulation there and in the roof rafters.

Hard to go wrong with spray foam insulation but the upfront cost is not low.

Old 11-15-12, 09:21 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Hi Syumped1,
CA has a variety of climates, let us know if you are cooling, heating, or mixed.

If cooling is dominate, they often apply a radiant barrier (RB) directly to the bottom of the roof sheathing, then an air gap, insulation, and cover the bottoms of the rafters. The air gap allows both continued ventilation and isolation for the RB.

Have you checked with your local code enforcement to determine how much insulation would be required?

Bud

Old 11-15-12, 09:12 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The insulation on the attic floor is fiberglass batts. I would say 20-25% of the space is insulated.

Currently getting quotes to take out the K&T. If we go this route I am considering rock wool insulation in the attic floor. From what I have read it provides sound absorption which would help reduce the furnace noise and acts as a fire retardant. Appears to be very easy to install (no fiberglass itchiness to deal with).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: