Attic Insulation Question

Old 11-17-12, 06:02 PM
Attic Insulation Question

Hi everyone,

I just bought a new home, and in a bit of a quandry about what to do in the attic. Currently there is some minimal amount (maybe 3") of vermiculite insulation up there, and so replacing that is one of my top priorities before we get too far into winter, since the effective R-value is diminutive. I would like to just blow in some fiberglass. However, my issue is that I plan to do some remodeling within a year or two which will involve removing the ceiling just under the attic joists. I would really like to not have to deal with insulation falling on my face then replacing it if possible when I do that. One thought I had was to put down a layer of kraft-faced insulation in the attic with the barrier side down. Or put some kind of vapor barrier in before the blow-in, and hope it holds all the insulation in when the ceiling is removed. However I have the feeling that might be a terrible idea which could cause moisture issues. Does anyone have any thoughts on whether this would be acceptable to do, or have any other ideas for me?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-12, 06:48 PM
Thanks for the reply. Any thoughts regarding installing a vapor barrier from above in the attic? If a vapor barrier would cause issues maybe I could put some wire or something underneath some unfaced batts to help hold them in. Although, I would prefer blow-in since it's much cheaper and fills in all the hard to reach spots.

Old 11-17-12, 06:56 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! Your first order of business is to rid the attic of the vermiculite by professionals. You could always follow up with R39 batt insulation rather than blown in, especially in the area(s) you plan on doing work in the future. It may be easier to keep the batts at bay once you start removing the sheetrock.