Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Basement insulation

OH

12-02-12, 05:21 PM   #1  
Basement insulation

I am planning on finishing half of my basement and leaving the other half as storage. I am insulating all rim joist but only plan on insulating the walls of the finished side. I'm looking for the best option. *I have 8" thick poured concrete walls that have a latex paint on them right now. I live in Columbus Ohio. Should I...

--Can I attach rigid foam boards from ceiling and to about 8" above concrete floor to allow drying. I would caulk any gaps between concrete wall and foam board to prevent any gaps. Build 2x4 wall in front of this. I really don't want to cover the entire wall. I really want to leave the bottom open to see any problems. I plan on on putting in some vents at the top and bottome of the drywall to let air circulate. The bottom of the wall is insulate by the earth so I hope this will work. This would be a precaution any possible water issue at floor level. After the rigid foam board is up I plan to build 2x4 wall in front of this with no insulation in the cavities.

My number 1 priority is to avoid mold. Any insulation value is a bonus. If it is better to avoid insulation to prevent mold I'm fine with that. I plan on covering the stud walls with drywall. *I do have a wood stove in the basement and behind that is stone veneer that goes from floor to ceiling so there will not be insulation in that area which is about a 8ft x 8 ft area.

Any ideas is much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

12-02-12, 05:30 PM   #2  
Welcome to the forums! If you have any moisture problems at all, you need to remedy that before you finish the basement. It can only cause problems down the road if you don't. Is the basement completely below grade? If so, insulation may be redundant, since the walls will remain the same temperature year round. Once the water/moisture problem is solved, you can construct your wall 1" or so from the concrete to allow for circulation behind it, and complete your wall. Here, again, sheetrock will not be your friend if you have moisture present. It will mold. Denshield is a product that is used in such situations, and you can google it for it's attributes. If you install rigid foam boards on the concrete, glue them, and seal all their seams. Not sure how well the glue will hold to latex paint, however.

OH

12-02-12, 06:17 PM   #3  
Thanks! The top two fey or so is above grade. I figure if I cover all but about a foot with rigid I would be in good shape. Basement seems dry. I plan on checking by taping plastic on the the wall and let it stand a few months. I figure if I vent the top and bottom of the drywall it will let air circulate and dry any moisture that may or may not become present later on. Is leaving the bottom foot bare concrete okay as long as I caulk any gaps to prevent air from getting behind on the rigid foam. I plan on securing it with falcons and washers. Thanks again.

Search this Thread