Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Insulaltion Cost

VA

12-04-12, 08:06 AM   #1  
Insulaltion Cost

Just curious on a ballpark cost to to have a 1200 sqft crawlspace insulated. I think I can buy the materials at home depot for around $500 but I don't really want to do the work. Wondering what it would cost to have someone do it. Thanks.

Sponsored Links

ME

12-04-12, 08:14 AM   #2  
It depends upon what you need and what type of prep work should be done.

Tell us what is already there?
Has it been air sealed? (more important than extra insulation)
What is the total r-value you are headed for?

In many cases an insulation crew can be in and out for less than you can purchase the materials, but you will need to get some bids. If air sealing is needed, that should definitely be done before more insulation is added.

Have you considered blown in cellulose?

Bud

VA

12-04-12, 08:20 AM   #3  
It's an old house, built in 1974. There is nothing there currently. I would assume it isn't air sealed although I don;t know what all that entails. Not headed for a particular R-value. This would be part of a deal for a buyer on my house so I am just trying to get a feel for cost to get an idea if it's even reasonable. How would blown in cellulose work in a crawlspace?

Do they put a net under the floor joists to hold it in?

ME

12-04-12, 09:33 AM   #4  
Let's wait for some of the southern pros to jump in as the guidelines in the north are a bit different that VA. AC to us is what is in a wall outlet.

Bud

VA

12-04-12, 10:51 AM   #5  
How would blown in cellulose work in a crawlspace?

Do they put a net under the floor joists to hold it in?
Yes. More like a sheet of plastic, but one that allows moisture to move through it.

Search this Thread