Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Insulation, Radiant and Vapor Barriers
Reload this Page > How to raise cement floor up to 1/4" thick ceramic tile level for laminate floor

How to raise cement floor up to 1/4" thick ceramic tile level for laminate floor

Old 12-13-12, 01:39 PM
Lightbulb How to raise cement floor up to 1/4" thick ceramic tile level for laminate floor

I'm planning to install laminate flooring to my first floor. The hallway and kitchen area are covered by 1/4 inch ceramic tiles. My living and formal dining room were carpeted, which I have removed. I want to raise the level of the cemented part ( living and formal dining rooms ) to tile level so when | install the laminate flooring it's even. My floor has radiant heat. What are my options aside from removing the tiles ( lots of it ) ? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-12, 02:13 PM
Group Moderator
Is that a quarter inch before or after it is installed? A quarter of an inch isn't much. Why can't you just use thresholds or transition strips?

Old 12-18-12, 08:41 AM
It is quarter inch before. I can not remove the tiles; I plan to laminate on top of the existing till in the hall way so now the living room will be quarter inch lower. I thought about putting transition, but it would show a line between the hallway/foyer and the living room. Is there other options? Thanks.

Old 12-18-12, 08:48 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
No other options that would make better sense than the transition strips. That line will virtually disappear since the two areas serve different purposes. There are professional transition "slips" that go under your approaching flooring to where it will meet the other floor. They are tapered back about 2' and allow the lower flooring to slightly transition upward. NOW, the problem will be the click lock, which won't work on ANY angle whatsoever. These strips are used mostly for VCT. I would opt for the transition threshold pieces.

Last edited by chandler; 12-18-12 at 09:17 AM.
Old 05-17-13, 08:08 AM
Thanks guys for the replies.

Old 05-17-13, 12:59 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Heck, that was 6 months ago How did the project go??

Search this Thread